This is a wonderful dish on those cold winter nights, and as I’m writing this… it is COLD!
There’s about 4-5carbs per serving.
Keto Low Carb Courtbouillon (Fish Stew)Print This
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bundle green onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp cajun/creole seasoning
- 2 (16oz) cans tomatoes (chopped or whole)
- 1 cup of fish stock or water
- 3 lbs of redfish or red snapper cut into about 6 large equal pieces
- 4 thinly cut lemon slices
- 1 cup dry red win (Merlot, Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Turn on saute function on your Instant Pot
- Put oil and all chopped vegetables (not the tomatoes) into the pot and saute until tender. This step develops flavor and umami.
- Put all of the remaining ingredients into the Instant Pot and set to manual for 10m.
- When the timer goes off, let naturally cool for 10m, then release the pressure.
- Mix, but be careful not to break up the fish too much. If you need to, you can remove the fish before mixing the broth.
- While this is a thin broth stew, if you want a thicker stew follow these steps.
- Remove fish and place into serving bowls.
- Drain off the liquid into a mixing bowl through a strainer or cheese cloth.
- While whisking vigorously, sprinkle about 1/4tsp per cup of Xanthum gum into the broth You should probably use about 1 full tsp, but I mix in one tsp at a time until i get the desired consistency I’m looking for.
- Add the liquid back to the vegetables and stir.
- Ladle into serving bowls atop the fish.
When using Xanthum gum to thicken liquids, always strain the liquid into a large mixing bowl while hot, whisk vigorously and sprinkle in 1/4tsp of Xanthum gum at a time until desired consistency. Then add the liquid back to your dish, mix and serve.